Thursday, February 12, 2015

Get Yourself a Social Media Platform

Full disclosure: I'm basically like Alice in Wonderland. I give very good advice, but I seldom ever listen.

Okay, so you wrote a book. Or maybe you wrote an article. You wrote something.

First of all, congratulations.

Second of all, I'm so, so sorry. Nobody told you, but your work has only just started.

Now comes the part we don't like to talk about. The part where you get other people to read what you've written.

If you're like me, this is ridiculously hard, because you don't want to be seen as bragging or pushing things in people's faces (I'm looking at you, friend who is a Mary Kay salesperson and thinks I don't mean it when I say I don't need any more makeup).

If you're like me, it's hard, because this is the part where you have to (gasp) talk to people and leave your bubble and why the heck would you do that?

Well, you could not do that...

You could, instead:

1. Get an author Facebook page. (Full disclosure: I still don't have one of these, but Ographies has one, and I'm learning how to run a page so I can get one of my own.) That way, your Facebook friends can see what you're up to writing-wise.

Oh, and make sure you post regularly. Maybe once a week, maybe once a day, depending on how much you have to say.

2. Get a Twitter. (Oh yes, finally advice I actually took.) And don't just tweet about your writing. Tweet funny things. Be yourself. Connect with other writers or other friends or just people. Just connect. And be yourself.

And post regularly. Once a week, once a day, whatever you're comfortable with.

3. Get a blog. Blogger, Wordpress, whatever. I myself have two (not including Ographies), and while I definitely stink at updating regularly, I have divided them into writing and personal. One blog has little snippets of stories, the other has my own little ramblings.

And post regularly. Oh wait, are you starting to see my pattern?

4. Get a Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, or whatever suits your style. Me, I'm a Tumblr geek. I have a fandom tumblr and a writing tumblr, and I mostly just use the fandom one. But maybe you like Instagram better for showing off your character sketches. Or Pinterest for cute quotes. I don't know, I don't care, just get out there and do it, okay?

Now, off you fly, my pretties! Go blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment