Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Love Your Sidekicks!

At last, advice I actually take.

. . . Actually, I should probably take this advice less . . . .

Anyway, today's topic is sidekicks. I'm talking the Robin to your Batman. The Ron Weasley to your Harry Potter. The Sam to your Frodo. 

Let's start with why I love sidekicks. Think about your favorite movie. Or book. Or whatever. Think about who your favorite character is. The one you could write an entire novel about describing all the reason they're the best literary masterpiece ever created.

Nine times out of ten, it's not the main character.

Me, I like Fred Weasley more than Harry or even Hermione. I like Finnick more that Katniss, Gale, or Peeta. I like Robin way more than Batman. I like Merry and Pippin more than Frodo or Sam.

Why?

Maybe part of it is because we see sidekicks through the eyes of the main character. And while it's easy to see faults in ourselves and therefore in the narrator, it's hard for us and the main character to see anything but obvious faults in other people. We see sidekicks as the narrator sees them, and that's in a rosy light. (Usually. Sometimes we just see them in a more interesting light.)

Or maybe it's because sidekicks don't carry the burden of the entire story/plot. Fred is here to make us laugh. Pippin is here to be generally adorable. Pepper Potts is here to kick butt and take names without taking the spotlight. We can have more fun with the sidekicks because they don't have to be burdened with the typical angst/frustration that the main character faces.

Whatever the reason, it's clear we love our side characters. So let's make sure that when we write, we give them plenty of love.

Make your characters rich and engaging. I need more sass and more flair always. I need more characters with surprisingly deep backstories once you get to know them always. I need more characters with huge flaws always. I need more characters filled with undying loyalty and more characters who just follow the strongest side always.

I need thieves, rogues, and scoundrels just as much as I need pranksters, snarky kids, and love interests. I need Kronks as well as Luna Lovegoods.

I need more Lois Lanes, more Kate Bishops, more Phil Coulsons. 

Give your B-list more spice, and you'll be surprised what it does for your story.

Plus, you know at least this reader will be about five hundred times more interested. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment